As many of us know, there are several careers that seem very skewed with being held by one gender or the other. While we may strive for complete gender equality, there still seems to be some careers that are laden with women while others are full of men. In the area of Information
and Communication Technology, the number of female employees appears to be relatively low.
Let’s take a look at some statistics.
- Women hold 19% of CIO positions at Fortune 250 companies, while about 11% of Fortune 500 executives are women.
- Women comprise 34% of web developers; 23% of programmers; 37% of database administrators; 20% of software developers; and 15% of information security analysts.
- Women hold 11% of executive technical roles at privately held, venture-backed companies.
- Women comprise 7% of tech company founders and successful startups have twice as many women in senior roles than unsuccessful companies.
- The gender pay gap for computer programmers is smaller (women make 7% less than men) than it is for other professional occupations, including attorney (women make 13% less than men) and accountant (women make 24% less than men.)
- If you are curious about the breakdown of ethnic or racial groups among women in the ICT field, only 3% are African-American, 4% are Asian, and 1% is Latinas.
- Interestingly, one study found that almost 50% of women felt that companies do not spend enough time addressing diversity, as compared to less than 20% of men feeling this way.
There is much debate as to why there are fewer women in ICT roles than men. Some feel that the lack of active engagement with young women in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math) areas from early on is to blame. Others claim that there is a lack of interest in engineering and ICT careers among women and a low percentage of women choose to pursue training or degree programs in the ICT areas. Still others feel like the ICT field is unwelcoming towards females in general.
Whatever the case may be, this gender gap creates a great opportunity for women wishing to enter the ICT field. If you are a woman who is looking to increase your marketability in the workforce, choosing a career in the ICT industry can be a smart path. And, Gatlin International is a great place to look for online training in this field. Gatlin International offers a wide variety of distance learning courses to meet the needs of just about every ICT training desire.
We invite you to visit the Gatlin International Course Catalog and click on the IT and Software Development link. From here you can view our vast array of ICT course offerings in software, hardware, networking, digital design, and programming. Help fill the gap of women in the ICT field by enrolling in technology career training with Gatlin International today!
If you enjoyed this article or enjoy reading the Gatlin International blog, don’t miss out on another great post or other news and announcements from Gatlin International –Use your Facebook account to like the Gatlin International Facebook page and follow us on Twitter at @Gatlin_Intl!